homeaboutourstoryphotographyinfertility

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Baked Potato Soup - my 2nd attempt!

This is the 2nd time I've made potato soup & this was BY FAR the best recipe. I know I've blogged another recipe for it, but i remember thinking it was not the best potato soup I'd ever had. This, however, was pretty amazing! It was made in the crockpot & i know that's a bonus for some of you! ;) Seriously - DELICIOUS!

Baked Potato Soup
Southern Living Magazine "comfort foods" edition

6 large baking potatoes, peeled & cubed (about 3.75 pounds)
1 large onion, chopped (about 1.5 cups)
3 (14 ounce) cans seasoned chicken broth with roasted garlic
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1 cup whipping cream or half-&-half (i used whipping cream)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp shredded cheese
3 Tablespoons fresh chives

Toppings (optional): cooked & crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream (i didn't use any of these - it didn't need a thing!)

1 - Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5-quart slow cooker.
2 - Cover & cook on high 4 hours or on low 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
3 - Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped & soup is slightly thickened; stir in whipping cream, cheese & chives. Serve w/ desired toppings.

*my notes - i didn't have the chicken broth "with roasted garlic" so i just threw in some minced garlic. I also didn't have the chives. Everything else is the same. It was DELICIOUS!

ENJOY!

5 comments:

  1. Hmm...I wonder how naughty this recipe is. That is the thing with dieting...LAME for trying new recipes...so much yummy stuff is bad for you!! GRRR!!

    Eat a bowl for me, will ya? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, Patty! You know i do not restrict anything except fast food & soda! I am going to figure out how many calories it's got but it could be worse i think, considering it's got more of the broth & less of the whipping cream than most potato soup recipes!

    I promise i had very small portions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SORRY - Patti :) I follow another Patty w/ a Y! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was right there with Patti when I read that there was all that whipping cream/cheese! But soups are one of my favoooooorite foods. Well, creamy, yummy onese like that. I might have to make it on my splurge day!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious. AND it's in the crock!! Gonna have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my favorite.