homeaboutourstoryphotographyinfertility

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Nutritious & Delicious!

(This was first posted in my other blog. So you may have already read it... I don't usually put the same thing in both blogs, but since i'm starting to try healthy recipes... well, it makes sense for me to post it in both places! Most of my followers follow one blog or the other - but if you follow both, just ignore this...) ANYWAY. ;)
This dinner was definitely out of my comfort zone! To be honest, i was kind of scared of some of the ingredients. I don't even like olives & this was a wierd olive! HAHA. I put them in anyway because (1) Brad loves them & (2) they are good for you! And although i was too chicken to taste one - i definitely think they flavored the whole dish.

So I had my doubts about how this would turn out - but i was pleasantly surprised. SO GOOD! Mine is just slightly modified, so you can check out the original recipe here. Another plus - it took hardly any time to make! Maybe 20 minutes! =)

So, yay me! 2nd healthy meal this month! (For those who don't read my other blog - my goal is to try 3 new healthy recipes this month.)

Mediterranean Chicken & Pasta
(from Fitness Magazine)

4 servings (i think it makes much more than that!)
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes

1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts
1 tablespoon olive oil
16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
3 garlic clotes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives (i was kind of scared of these!)
3 cups hot cooked campanelle or penne pasta (i used whole wheat penne)
4 ounces feta cheese

1. Cook pasta according to package directions.

2. Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade, & chop them. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add chicken & garlic. Cook & stir until chicken is brown. Add the reserved artichoke marinade, broth, wine & dried oregano.

3. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in chopped artichokes, roasted peppers & olives.

4. Pour chicken mixture in with the pasta. Add feta cheese & mix well.

Voila!! Delicious!!

Nutrition: 347 calories, 26g protein, 38g carbohydrates, 9g fat & 3g fiber.
(per serving)

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! This sounds amazing!!!!! I can't wait to try this one!!!! I LOVEEEEE kalamata olives!!!! When Dan wants to score points with me, he goes to Whole Foods and gets me a big baggie full of them. I eat them like candy!!! Yummyy!!! (he hates them too)
    Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was too scared to try it - they stunk! HAHA! Brad liked them though. He'd never had that kind, but he loves olives in general. Black olives i like in foods but i wouldn't eat them just alone! HA!

    Tell Dan if you make it & put in the olives, just not to eat the olives. B/c they really flavor it all! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my favorite.